Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 01:19:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@legarto.minn.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ping times over PPP link to Linux box

I recently switched to a new ISP, and my new provider runs PPP
on a Linux box.  Pings times from my machine to theirs over a 28.8
modem average 220ms.  With my previous provider (SLIP - SunOs) I
usually got ping times of 160ms.  I also average 160ms ping times
over a PPP link that is established between a 28.8 modem and a
14.4 modem both on my own machine, so I don't think the FreeBSD
PPP interface is at fault.

I think that the Linux box is probably capable of providing better response,
since I've logged into the machine and pinged various sites around the
country and seen ping times as low as 60ms.  Pings to freebsd.org avg 90ms
right now.  My provider is running Linux 1.2.8.

What I want to know, is there any way I can get my ping times
between my machine and my provider down by doing something on
my end, or is the Linux PPP interface the bottleneck, or maybe
the Linux serial interface (looks like they use the Cyclom serial
driver - whatever that is).

I would also be interested in knowing what kind of ping times anyone
else connecting via PPP from a FreeBSD box to a Linux box gets.
Are my results atypical?
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@legarto.minn.net