Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 09:34:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Subject:   Can SCSI disk be physically repaired?

I have in my possession a 9Gb Mircopolis 3391NS SCSI hard disk that is not
working.  I did fine for almost a year, until the power supply fan stopped
and the power supply overheated and gave up.  After replacing the
power supply, the BIOS SCSI utility reported very many bad sectors and
re-mapped them.  I gave up on that and did a complete low-level format,
which went fine for several minutes, but then stopped with errors.  Now
the drive in completely inaccessible.  It winds up to speed at boot,
there's a little disk activity, and then it winds back down and repeats
several times.  My machine will not boot anymore with this disk installed.

The disk is beyond warranty, and Micropolis is out of business.  Is there
a way to get this disk repaired, or do I have a $300 paperweight?

Thanks in advance, Ken