Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 14:57:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      Karl Hanmore <avatar@ultra.ultra.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quota troubles under 4.0

Good Day All,

I have an interesting problem which is frustrating my best efforts to
solve.

I have a seperate partition for /var/mail, upon which I have quotas
enabled.  User X is over their hard quota, but can still receive incoming
email.  Not only that, but user X can cat a small file (of a couple of
dozen bytes) onto the end of the mailbox, no problems.  However, using
perl, vi etc user cannot append to their mailbox.  I have checked quotas
are enabled, and indeed, if user X trys to cat a large file onto the end
of the mailbox (or use perl, vi etc to append) it presents an error about
being over the quota.

Anyone have any ideas?  My design was to enable me to set a maximum quota
for any given users incoming mail, but the sidetrack issue of being able
to cat small files to the end of the box has me stumped.  The user is over
3 times their soft quota, and 1.5 times their hard quota...

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  I am not a novice at
freebsd, but I guess there is something I am missing.....

Regards,
Karl Hanmore