Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:32:24 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please update lang/cmucl to 20c

> any chance to see cmucl-20c (including cmucl-extras) in ports,
> while at the same time keeping the current lang/cmucl as, say,
> lang/cmucl19, because that version still supports non-SSE2
> CPUs?

The sse2 version is indeed much faster, and works on quite old computers =
nowadays
so i am not sure that the generic version is still useful.

> And while I'm asking for it, could the cmucl port include
> the sources (perhaps from the source release tar ball or
> as part of the building-from-source process?) in such a
> way that it is available from within lisp itself?

In fact the exact position of the source code from which the binary has =
been compiled
is annotated in the binary, so the only solution to make debugging, etc. =
work is to
avoid completely moving the source code after compilation. So =
practically you have to compile
cmucl (or sbcl) in your home and live it here. The ports system is =
useless here.

--

Michel Talon
talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr