Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 19:46:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      dono <dono@analog.org>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   >2.1GB EIDE disks on old BIOS?

Here's the situation: I have an old 486DX2/66 with a PhoenixBIOS dating
back to (I believe August) '94 (specifically, it's a Packard Bell Legend
61CD with an identical replacement BIOS from Micro Firmware). Currently,
it has a IBM DeskStar 2.1GB and a Western Digital Caviar 1.6GB (both
EIDE). I want to get rid of those two drives, and put in one 6-8GB disk.

Would my BIOS support it? If not, would FreeBSD, either 2.2.8R or 3.1R,
still be able to see/use the entire disk? Would I be able to boot from
that disk (any partition size limitations?)?

d.

KeyID 1024/570E72C5 (or just ``finger dono@async.org'')
Fingerprint 8A 74 C8 E4 A8 8D 00 FE  01 EF 9F BB 75 38 17 6F