Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2018 23:59:26 +0300
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>, Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building and Iterating

On 01.06.2018 23:02, Ryan Stone wrote:

>> 3.  If the boostrap toolchain needs to be built in the normal case, only
>> target the ARCH being requested.  I understand that we "want" a CC
>> installed that targets all architectures and this is something I agree with.
>
> Has anybody instrumented the build to determine how much time this
> would actually save?  Before trying to optimize the build we need to
> be sure that we're actually targetting the right optimizations.
 LLVM build could easily take one hour to be built on rather modern system.

 My VM to build NanoBSD images has 8GiB of RAM (1/4 of total physical
RAM), 4 cores of i7 (out of 4 cores / 8 threads) and resides on SSD
(SATA one). Build WITH cross-toolchain AND world toolchain is about 2.5
hours and build WITHOUT ANY toolchain (using host's one as
cross-compiler) is less than a hour.

--
// Lev Serebryakov