Date:      Sat, 27 May 2006 13:53:06 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

On Fri, 2006-May-26 20:19:15 -0700, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>On May 26, 2006, at 7:44 PM, Steve Kargl wrote:
>>  1) History.  A Fortran 77 compiler has been available in the
>>     base system since FreeBSD was known as 386BSD+patchkit.
>
>A Fortran 77 compiler has been in the base system since 4.2BSD.

So was Pascal but we no longer have that.  UUCP and games have
been unbundled from the base system.  Perl was removed from the
base system due to the difficulty in maintaining it within the
base system.

- Nothing in the base system depends on FORTRAN.
- It is a modular component that can be readily removed.
- Its retention will increase the difficulty of migrating to gcc 4.x.
- Several FORTRAN compilers are available in ports.

I think it's removal is justified.

--
Peter Jeremy