Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 12:03:58 -0800
From:      Steven Wallace <swallace@ece.uci.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iBCS2, socksys and all that jazz...

> Ok; having just supped and make-worlded -current, I'm hunting the
> "why doesn't socksys work" problem.
>
> There's code in -current for socksys ioctls, but nothing to handle the
> day-to-day open/close stuff needed for these ioctls.
>
> Is this something that's currently under development?
No, it is done.

What you need to do is set up /compat/ibcs2/dev to look like:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         9 Oct 15 22:20 X0R@ -> /dev/null
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         7 Oct 15 22:20 nfsd@ -> socksys
-rw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel         0 Oct 28 12:02 null
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         9 Oct 15 22:20 socksys@ -> /dev/null
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   41,   1 Oct 15 22:14 spx

You just need socksys to go to /dev/null to fake the open & close.
The code in -current will handle the rest.  This is much cleaner than
the way it was done before.  If you want the spx driver for a local
socket X connection, define SPX_HACK when you compile the system.

Can this go into some FAQ or somewhere so I don't have to repeat it
dozens of times?

Steven