Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 08:35:48 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Netcape Browser [RANT]

Andrew C. Hornback <achornback@worldnet.att.net> types:
> 	Some of us go ahead and disable Java and Javascript because it could pose a
> security problem.  If you have questions in that regard, I'd advise you to
> take it up with www.cert.org unless, of course, you've come up with a fix
> for those problems which I think a lot of us would be more than happy if you
> would share said fixes.

JavaScript is unfixable. Java is generally fixed, but as you said,
there's no such thing as perfect software.

> > Netscape gets worse with each generation:
> > more memory scrooging and the freezes
> > occur more frequently. Despite the
> > apparent absurdity of the idea,
> > *something* gives Netscape the power to
> > lock up window managers, crash X, and
> > even reboot the entire system on
> > occasion. There's stability for you.

You know, I here people say the same thing about MSIE on Windows.
> 	I'd love to find a Solaris admin with the cajones to run IE on his system.
> I find that whole idea extremely comical.

I've done it. The only advantage this has over running it on Windows
it that when IE crashes - as it inevitably does - it doesn't bring
down the entire box with it.

> > The advice given to me
> > in my thread "Web Browsers (is there hope?)" was
> > to use Windows to surf the Net.
> 	If you like IE that well, why not use Windows?  Even better, why not
> download Solaris 8 from Sun and run IE on it?  It seems to be your browser
> of choice, and no one is stopping you from doing either of the above.

When I tried it, IE was only available for Solaris on Sparc. If that's
changed, I'd be interested in a pointer. If you've got a sparc, it
might be worth checking out whether (Net|Open)BSD have a Solaris API
that you could try it on.

> 	As I mentioned before... you don't seem to like any of the available web
> client software packages out there, so why not write your own?  If you're
> that bound and determined to raise a fuss over this and not contribute
> anything useful to correcting these problems, why not do it yourself?

Because he's a hungry troll.

	<mike