Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 13:25:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dump segv w/devfs (was Re: My list of -CURRENT problems)

Christian Weisgerber writes:
 > Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:
 >
 > > Perhaps it is scsi-controller specific?  What type of scsi controller
 > > is in this machine?
 >
 > sym(4), although I can't imagine this making a difference.
<...>

OK, it seems to be related to devfs.  Dumping with /dev/null as a file
crashes.  Dumping to a normal file elsewhere works.  Dumping through a
redirect to /dev/null (tcsh) seems to work as well.

/dev/null as a "file" works just fine w/o devfs.

Eg:

dump 0af - / > /dev/null - works
dump 0af /usr/tmp/foo /  - works
dump 0af /dev/null /	 - SEGV w/devfs, works with normal /dev

Anybody have some ideas?  Does this happen only on alphas? ( I don't
have a -current PC).

FWIW, cat'ting the resulting /usr/tmp/foo to /dev/null works just
dandy..

Drew