Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:08:08 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 82801I hda, STAC9271D codec: problem(s)

Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 06/11/2008 14:23 Andriy Gapon said the following:
>> on 05/11/2008 17:21 Alexander Motin said the following:
>>> There are really much possibilities, but you should first answer two
>>> questions: what do you want to have and what your hardware can do?
>>>
>>> Some examples of possible configurations provided in man page, but you
>>> may want to invent something more customized. The main hardware feature
>>> you should test - is a jack presence detection. More info about your
>>> codec organization you may get from diagram on page 35 of codec
>>> datasheet: http://www.idt.com/products/getDoc.cfm?docID=18451989
>> Thanks for the pointers/hints. I will play with HDA configuration if it
>> is still necessary after BIOS upgrade.
>
> I performed the upgrade, here's new verbose dmesg:
> http://www.icyb.net.ua/~avg/hda.newest.dmesg.gz
>
> Now HDA behaves more reasonable, quite close to what you predicted: pcm0
> provides both playback and recording through rear jacks. Playback
> through front still doesn't work, recording through front isn't tested,
> but I don't expect much changes. I haven't tested pcm1 usage either.

Now I see that pcm0 includes all analog playback and recording. The only
problem is that your case front connectors does not report jeck
insertion, so audio never switched there. You may try to add
hint.hdac.0.cad2.nid10.config="misc 1"
to give driver hint that jack sensing is not supported. I expect it
should give you headphones connector working all the time.

--
Alexander Motin