Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 11:01:50 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        rknebel@mail.microserve.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bash

On Fri, Sep 19, 1997 at 08:38:21PM -0400, rknebel@mail.microserve.net wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to freebsd.
> I just installed freebsd 2.2.2 without diffculty and even got ppp working.
> I added a user with the bash shell.
> My problem is that when I log in as this user in bash and type the command
> startx it tells me coommand not found.
> Is there an obvious fix for this.

Yes.  Check your .bashrc file.  If you find a line like:

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin

add to it the string ':/usr/X11R6/bin'  For example,

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

If you don't have a .bashrc, make one, and put this in it:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin

You should also check your .bash_profile and ensure that it contains
the line

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then source ~/.bashrc; fi

Greg