Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:43:28 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        gnn@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Socket problems with latest -current

--------------enig983D9876F0D20CE92350335C

If memory serves me right, Doug Barton wrote:
> gnn@freebsd.org wrote:
>> At Mon, 11 Dec 2006 01:35:17 -0800,
>> Doug Barton wrote:

>>> I found the problem, it's the change made in version 1.4 of
>>> rc.d/auto_linklocal. Reverting only that change, and using otherwise
>>> up to date -current sources allows things to work just fine. Adding
>>> that change on the same exact system causes the breakage I described
>>> in my previous message.
>>>
>>> It's probably worth mentioning that I exactly fit the criteria from
>>> the 1.4 commit message, I have INET6 in my kernel, but at the moment =
>>> have ipv6_enable=3Dno in rc.conf.
>>>
>>> This change should be backed out of HEAD and RELENG_6[_2] until the
>>> cause of this breakage is understood.
>> I'll take a quick look at this too. =20
>=20
> Thanks. I installed a totally generic RELENG_6 system from scratch
> yesterday, and confirmed that the problem I had in -current exists in
> -stable too. This is a serious issue, given that the default
> installation will have INET6 in the kernel, but ipv6_enable=3Dno in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>=20
> It would be preferable of course to fix the actual problem, but
> between "it works" and "it is fully RFC compliant," I have to pick the
> former.

Hey Doug--

I'm trying to reproduce this problem but without success.  I did an
install of 6.2-RC1/i386 from CD into a Parallels VM, then manually
updated /etc/rc.d/auto_linklocal to version 1.1.2.3.2.1 (same as 1.4 you
tested with).  I'm running a GENERIC kernel with ipv6_enable=3D"NO" set i=
/etc/rc.conf.  I set sshd_enable=3D"YES" and sendmail_enable=3D"YES" and
they both seem to be behaving normally.

vm2# ifconfig
ed0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet WW.XX.YY.ZZ netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast WW.XX.YY.255
        ether 00:5d:54:14:12:1a
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)
lo0: flags=3D8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

I also remember lightly testing this change before it was committed, so
I'm kind of puzzled by the problems you saw.

Do you have any other information that you think might be useful?

Thanks!

Bruce.