Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:52:21 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 04:51:32PM -0800, Mike Hoskins wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Greg Lewis wrote:
> > I'm assuming I need some assembly skills and familiarity with BIOS calls
> > to look at the LinuxBIOS piece?  Or do you have a good handle on the
> > problem and just need to railroad the changes through?
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something...  What about,
>
> http://www.openfirmware.org/
>
> It already works with Sun, LinuxPPC (where I liked what I saw back
> around '95/96) and some BSDs.  Why start a new project with Linux in
> the name when a good solution is already underway?  It seems like it would
> have benefitted everyone if the LinuxBIOS folks worked with the
> OpenFirmware folks.

Actually, I happen to like OpenFirmware :).  However its not the problem
I'd like to see solved at the moment.  OpenFirmware is:

1. Only available on Sparc and PowerPC machines.
2. Generally a proprietary product.  Yes, it does have an open standard
   describing it, but there is no accompanying source code.

So, you would need to start from scratch and write something for all the
x86 motherboards you wanted to target that met the OpenFirmware standard.
Sorry, thats a project for somebody a bit more ambitious :).

In comparison, LinuxBIOS exists and is designed for booting nodes in a
cluster (among other things).  All I'd like to see is to add the necessary
changes so it can boot FreeBSD.  Its code is available, so is the FreeBSD
booting code.  They just need to be taught to cooperate with each other :).

Apart from that, consider that LinuxBIOS is in use on production clusters
right now and is responsible for several million dollars of Linux cluster
sales this year.  The relatively simple task of making it boot FreeBSD
should take a relatively short time (for someone with the know how) and
would be a helpful boost to FreeBSD's "clusterability".

IMHO of course :).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org