Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:37:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, tsikora@powerusersbbs.com, "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: linux sysctl knobs (was Re: RealPlayer 7)

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

# > I've noticed that the Linux version reports the OS as "Linux 2.0.36" or
# > something like that.  Is there anything special that will make the Linux
# > version of Netscape report the OS correctly?  Maybe it should be doing
# > `uname -srm` or something like that.
# >
# > It's really minor, but it's always nice to have your OS trumpeted proudly
# > in your usenet headers.  I don't want "Linux" reported if I'm running
# > FreeBSD...  Just a minor gripe, I guess.
#
# 	You could always vi the binary. :)

On -current at least you can set the following sysctl knobs.  Beware!
No telling what might break if you do this, so you're on your own if
you change them and weird things start happening with your other
Linux apps.

$ sysctl -a | grep linux
compat.linux.osname: Linux
compat.linux.osrelease: 2.2.12