Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:00:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        <Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it>, <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP bug?? I think it's something urgent.

Hi,
I finally have something more about ppp ,it is really a bug and I can
reproduce it.
First of all it crashes the very first time I initialize a nat connection.
That is if I restart ppp after it crashes it won't crash anymore until
there are active sessions. When the active sessions list is empty if I
open a new nat session it will crash:
durlindana# ipnat -l
List of active MAP/Redirect filters:
map tun0 172.16.16.0/24  -> 80.116.y.x/32

List of active sessions:
(empty)

now the active session list is empty and ppp did crash.

Here is what gdb reported (gdb ./ppp -c ./ppp.core):
(gdb) bt
Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libmd.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libutil.so.3...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libz.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libalias.so.4...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libradius.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libnetgraph.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.4...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1...done.
#0  0x16013a714 in AliasHandleUdpNbt () from /usr/lib/libalias.so.4
#1  0x16013af00 in AliasHandleUdpNbtNS () from /usr/lib/libalias.so.4
warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding
warning: enclosing function for address 0x890004187450
This warning occurs if you are debugging a function without any symbols
(for example, in a stripped executable).  In that case, you may wish to
increase the size of the search with the `set heuristic-fence-post'
command.

Otherwise, you told GDB there was a function where there isn't one, or
(more likely) you have encountered a bug in GDB.

I built PPP with symbols (-g).
So I don;t really know what to do.... this ppp problem is really a BIG
problem, at least for me which I ahev to restart it over and over often
every day. I did a script which did it but the problem is that a new
dynamic IP is assigned to me every time and this is really a mess for me.

thanks
sorry for boring you.

Rick