Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 19:54:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "options" for -current ...

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 01:15:25PM +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > Do i get it right that "config" in -current is different from -stable
> > in handling "options XYZ" statements ?
> >
> > Under -stable, "options XYZ" would bring in files listed in conf/files
> > as
> >
> > 	filename	optional xyz
> >
> > wherease in -current it seems not (i.e. i have to add an entry in
> > conf/options for that ?)
>
> I don't think there should be any difference in _that_, but you should
> _always_ add an entry to conf/options (or a machine-specific variant)
> if you add new options.  You should also add the option to LINT.

I beg to differ: in -current (as it seems) you should add your option to
/sys/conf/options, which will create appropriate "opt_something.h" file
which you should in turn include in your module to see if the code is
needed. If you don't do this, you're harshly rebuked by 'config' each
time, and the option is used as a global -D define, which can conflict
with some #defines in other modules.

In -stable this wasn't enforced, and the "options" were being translated
just to global -D defines.

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"