Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 2012 03:21:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9.0-RELEASE amd64 Bricked My Hard Drive

=0A=0A =0A=0A________________________________=0A=0AFrom: Waitman Gobble <go=
bble.wa@gmail.com>=0ATo: Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com> =0ACc: FreeBSD=
 Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> =0ASent: Friday, January 6, 2012=
 5:09 AM=0ASubject: Re: 9.0-RELEASE amd64 Bricked My Hard Drive=0A=0A=0AOn =
Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com> wrote:=0A=
=0A> Today I encountered a problem which has me stumped. I downloaded and=
=0A> burned the ISO image for 9.0-RELEASE for amd64. I=A0 installed an olde=
r=0A> IDE hard drive to test the new OS with and did the install.=0A=0A...=
=0A=0A> Well the install finished and=0A> then I attempted to reboot the sy=
stem but nothing happened. And by that I=0A> mean the computer's flash scre=
en would come up and give me the choice=0A> to enter the Bios Setup or Boot=
 Menu and that's all. I could not enter the=0A> bios setup or the Boot menu=
.=0A=0A...=0A=0A> So basically,=0A> FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE bricked an otherwis=
e good 80GB hard drive=0A> and I can't seem to recover it.=0A>=0A>=0A>=0AHi=
 Bill,=0A=0AWhat was going on with this drive before the install?=A0 ie, it=
 was sitting=0Aon the self not being used, it was a daily use machine runni=
ng something=0Aelse, ... etc.=0AAt the moment it sounds to me like an incon=
venient hardware failure.=0A=0AWaitman=0A__________________________________=
reebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions=0ATo unsubscribe, send any ma=
il to "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"=0A=0AI had been running a=
 similar computer with Windows XP with it. The =0Adrive was working fine a =
few moments before I did the install. I have=0Aa utility to test=A0hard dri=
ves which boots from CD but like I said, when=0Athis drive is on a cable co=
nnected to any machine, booting is a =0Anon-option. I have an old IDE contr=
oller=A0but it's ISA=A0and I have=0Anot ISA slots on this computer.=A0Looks=
 like I may have to try the USB=0Adrive boot option to get on with this res=
cue.