Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 18:52:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, bwithrow@tuva.engeast
Subject:   Re: Minor problems with upcomming 2.2.5

> 1) XFree86-3.3.1 won't install using the sysinstall program, either during
> or after the initial installation.  I think Jordan is working on this.

This is fixed.

> 2) I need the following patch to be made to rc.network.  This is because
> *all* of our AMD maps are in NIS.  Thus my rc.conf.local has a line like
> this:

I don't think we'll do that - what you're proposing is essentially the
substitution of a set of options chosen to work in the _widest_ number
of scenarios for one which only works well with NIS, a minority.

I'd suggest an install script which sets amd_flags directly (which
will get it put into your new rc.conf) or copies over a localized copy
with fetch, or something.  You can call arbitrary commands from
scripts if you're careful about the ordering (e.g. call complex
commands only _after_ bin is installed ;).

>   a) Have AMD throttle its process creation at startup.
>   b) Have GENERIC go out with more process slots.
>   c) Find a way to have a custom kernel be installed automatically,
>      instead of GENERIC.

It's possible to have a custom kernel installed automatically, you
just have to have a little post-installation step of your own in the
installation script.  The other two options don't strike me as winners
this late in the game.

					Jordan