Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:34:39 +0200
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   iSCSI boot mussings

Hi,
	Now that I have my hands on a server that can boot iSCSI,
I started to look into it. After figuring out what magic is needed
in the dhcpd.conf (just add option root-path "iscsi:target-ip::::target-name")
I can boot FreeBSD to the point that it can't find a root device, and
assuming that some more magic can be applied (ala NFS), I'm just
wondering aloud, if it's realy worth the efford.
	For a PXE based diskless solution, you need
		1 - a working dhcpd
		2 - a working tftpd
		3 - a working NFS server with the exported root fs.
		    appplying some minor magic, you can have only one read-only fs.
	For an iSCSI based diskless solution, you need
		1- a working dhcpd
		2- a working iscsi-initiator, unless the BIOS can be used.
		3- a working target with a root fs
		   (one for each client, unless applying 3 from the above).
	Hybrid solution:
		boot via PXE, but mount root via iSCSI

So, what say you all?

	danny