Date:      6 Nov 1997 20:37:41 GMT
From:      chris@netmonger.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Secure setuid scripts

Ok, this may actually be a stupid question, but here it is.

I'm a very big fan of Perl and I tend to install it a lot.  Every time,
I get to this Configure question:

  Some kernels have a bug that prevents setuid #! scripts from being
  secure.  Some sites have disabled setuid #! scripts because of this.

  First let's decide if your kernel supports secure setuid #! scripts.
  (If setuid #! scripts would be secure but have been disabled anyway,
  don't say that they are secure if asked.)

  If you are not sure if they are secure, I can check but I'll need a
  username and password different from the one you are using right now.
  If you don't have such a username or don't want me to test, simply
  enter 'none'.

  Other username to test security of setuid scripts with? [none] demo
  "su" will (probably) prompt you for demo's password.
  Password:
  I don't think setuid scripts are secure.
  Does your kernel have *secure* setuid scripts? [n]

I'm never quite sure what to answer here.  I tend to say "n" and
enable setuid emulation, but I'd rather be a bit more clued-in.  I
seem to recall that I actually understood more of this at one point
and it had something to do with a race condition and passing a file
number and something about the fix involving /dev/fd/*.  Is this fixed
in FreeBSD?  (-STABLE, -CURRENT, or -ANYWHERE?)  If not, is there a
reason?

Thanks.
--
= Christopher Masto        = chris@netmonger.net = http://www.netmonger.net/  =
= NetMonger Communications = finger for  PGP key = $19.95/mo unlimited access =