Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:11:27 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@netflix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Benjamin Francom <bfrancom@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Netflix's New Peering Appliance Uses FreeBSD

On Jun 5, 2012, at 6:16 PM, Scott Long wrote:
>=20
> Yes, we are indeed using FreeBSD at Netflix!  For those who are =
interested, I
> recently moved from Yahoo to Netflix to help support FreeBSD for them, =
and
> I'm definitely impressed with what is going on there.  Other than a =
few small
> changes, we're using stock FreeBSD 9, tracking the 9-stable branch on =
> regular basis.  Our chassis is a semi-custom 4U 19" form factor with =
thirty six
> 3TB SATA disks and 2 SSDs.  Each disk has its own UFS+J filesystem, =
except for
> the SSDs that are mirrored together with gmirror.  The SSDs hold the =
OS image
> and cache some of the busiest content.  The other disks hold nothing =
but the
> audio and video files for our content streams.  We connect to the =
outside world
> via a twin-port Intel 10GBe optical NIC (only one port is active at =
the moment),
> and we use LSI MPT2 controllers for 32 of the 36 disks.  The other 4 =
disks
> connect to the onboard AHCI SATA controller.  All of the disks are
> direct-attach with no SAS backplanes or expanders.  Out-of-band =
management
> happens via IPMI on an on-board 1Gb NIC.  The entire system consumes
> around 500W of power, making it a very efficient appliance for its =
functionality.
>=20
> Netflix is also at the front of the internet pack with IPv6 roll-out, =
and FreeBSD
> plays an essential part of that.  We've been working hard on =
stabilizing the
> FreeBSD IPv6 stack for production-level traffic, and I recommend that =
all users
> of IPv6 update to the latest patches in 9-stable and 8-stable.  =
Contact me
> directly if you have questions about this.  That said, we're excited =
about World
> IPv6 Day, and we're ready with AAAA DNS records and content service =
from both
> Amazon and the traditional CDNs as well as our OpenConnect network.
>=20
>> =46rom an advocacy standpoint, Netflix represents 30% of all North =
American
> internet traffic during peak hours, and FreeBSD is becoming an =
integral part
> of that metric as we shift traffic off of the traditional CDNs.  We're =
expanding
> quickly, which means that FreeBSD is once again a core part of the =
internet
> infrastructure.  As we find and fix stability and performance issues, =
we're
> aggressively pushing those changes into FreeBSD so that everyone can
> benefit from them, just as we benefit from the contributions of the =
rest of the
> FreeBSD ecosystem.  We're proud to be a part of the community, and =
look
> forward to a long-term relationship with FreeBSD.
>=20
> If you have any questions, let me know or follow the information links =
on the
> OpenConnect web site.
>=20

I wanted to follow up on this briefly.  I jumped the gun a little bit in =
talking about this publicly, since the Openconnect website wasn't fully  =
globally online at the time.  It is now, so anyone who previously had =
trouble getting to it should try again at =
https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect.  Also, I mistakenly claimed that =
our regular CDN partners were serving streaming content over IPv6.  This =
isn't the case, only OpenConnect is, and I apologize for any confusion =
(hey, I've only just started at Netflix, and I couldn't even spell IPv6 =
two weeks ago =3D-)  Finally, I wanted to thank the NginX developers, =
they've done an amazing job supporting us.

The community enthusiasm and interest has been outstanding so far, so =
please feel free to continue to ask questions on the mailing list and to =
make formal inquires to Netflix.

Thanks,
Scott