Date:      Fri, 26 May 2006 14:44:26 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Access to UFS stuck during snapshot.

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:18:00AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> It's by design.
>>>
>>> Kris
>> I found that making the .snap directories permissions 0700, and then
>> making a subdirectory under the .snap that stores the actual snapshots
>> helped, as long as I did not make any stat() calls to the snapshot file
>> that was in snaplk state.
>>
>> Kris - you've had your head deep in the snapshot spaghetti recently - is
>> this blocking just a matter of the locking on the snapshot file and a
>> stat() call blocking on it, which causes an upward locking to the root
>> dir of the filesystem?  Could this be avoided by 'hiding' the snapshot
>> file while a snapshot is in progress?  I have been tinkering with hiding
>> the snapshot directory during snapshot creation, but I don't have any
>> results of anything yet, still too early.  I'm a wannabe hacker, so my
>> progress is slow.
>
> No, I/O is suspended while the snapshot is being created.  As I said,
> it's a design limitation.
>
> Kris

The suspension is only during the second read of the cylinder group
changes and such, right?   I was under the impression that the
suspension was actually quite quick, it's the initial copying of the
cylinder groups that takes the most time, which the fs is not suspended
until after that initial copy.  My tests just now on my laptop seem to
indicate as such (running 6-STABLE as of a few days ago).  Is -current
different now?

Eric