Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:42:21 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Jean-S=c3=a9bastien_P=c3=a9dron?= <dumbbell@FreeBSD.org>
To:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get amdgpu dimgrey cavefish working?

On 13/12/2022 03:43, Pat Maddox wrote:
> I have a Radeon RX 6600 which to my understanding is Navi 23 / dimgrey
> cavefish.
>
> I have built drm-kmod using poudriere, which also got me
> gpu-firmware-amd-kmod-dimgrey_cavefish.

Hi!

You'll need the drivers from Linux 5.12. They are not available in the
Ports tree as of this writing. You need to compile them from the
following Git repository:
https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod

The `amdgpu` kernel module you currently have loaded successfully but it
didn't attach to your device (it doesn't know about it). That's why you
don't get any /dev/dri/card0 and that the X.Org server "cannot run in
frame buffer mode".

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron
The FreeBSD Project