Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 06:25:38 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE tree?

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 03:28:35AM -0600, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> Sorry, I don't see what this has to do with my comment. KDE2 is a different
> product. IHMO, it should never occupy the same namespace (in our source tree)
> as KDE1. Eventually, KDE1 will disappear just as FreeBSD 2.x is doing.
> But in the interim, they each need their own namespace. And that namespace
> should not be one that is shared in time.

Yes, they do occupy the same namespace. Hard as it is to believe, I've seen
a program go from being written with Qt 1.45 to Qt 2.0. Sometimes they're
written with KDE 1.x and Qt 2.0, sometimes KDE 1.x and Qt 1.45, sometimes
KDE 2.x and Qt 2.0. Imura-san also has a few Qt/KDE programs that can only
use his i18n'd Qt 1.45 libraries.

Let me know when they perfect their release engineering and I will be happy
to consider them separate products.

In the meantime, I still have to support 2 versions of Qt and 2 versions of
KDE (well, once they release KDE2), so that users will be able to use the
widest range of Qt/KDE software.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>