Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:33:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        zebra@dml.com, zebra@zebra.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [zebra 4398] fbsd-5.0/zebra 0.87: ospf stuck in INIT and dies after debug ospf packet all

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 10:29:12AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > Due to the fact that BSD unix's won't send any multicast packets until
> > the have a multicast route of some form you have to do this:
> >
> > route add 224.0.0.5 127.0.0.1
> > route add 224.0.0.6 127.0.0.1
> >
> > Before you start ospfd, I show command line route add's above, you
> > can also do it with zebra static routes.
>
> I'm using that ,,,,

And you even have a default route out your xl0 interface, which should
take care of the bug I had seen in the past.  Humm... rip out all
your 224.x.x.x and those direct -lo0 routes too, just have your
xl0 and ed0 link layer routes and a default, then give it a shot.

> # multicast and other routes
> route add 172.16.1.1 -interface lo0
> route add 172.16.2.1 -interface lo0
You don't need those two, the kernel should do that automagically
internally and this may be causing some problems.

> route add 224.0.0.0/24 -interface lo0
Rip this out, as the problem should be taken care of by the
default route already.

> Now I added:
> route add 224.0.0.5 127.0.0.1
> route add 224.0.0.6 127.0.0.1

Rip them out too... just try it with the default route only.  No
funny stuff with -interface.

> root@titan{542} $ netstat -rn
> Routing tables
... whack ...

> ethereal shows, that no OSPF hello packet will be sent out
> on my xl0 interface .... The Cisco (running 12.1(2)T sends
> hellos out.
>
> What else could be wrong. Does somebody run -current ???

Sorry... not lately.  One other thing to try if ripping all
the routes out down to the default doesn't do it is this:
route add 224.0.0.0/4 -interface xl0

or

route add 224.0.0.0/4 172.16.2.1

One of those should work... if not I'll go pull the -current files
out of the repository and read through the multicast output packet
path and see if I can see what changed and what magic we need to
make it work now.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net