Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:57:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        billf@chimesnet.com (Bill Fumerola)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ip packet filtering with bridging on freebsd (fwd)

In some mail from Bill Fumerola, sie said:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 12:36:30PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
>
> > It's also not my balliwhack (that section of the code) so I'm not eager
> > to step on someone else's toes...
>
> Code that compiles doesn't seem to be your balliwhack either. I'm actually
> rather suprised that someone didn't just backout your recent batch entirely.

Sorta - it's my responsibility to make sure it works when committed.

> Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.

I guess this email ranting is you being the "B" in the "BOFH"...

> PS. maybe it's not even the kernels job to make sanity checks before handing
> off to the ipfw/ipfilter. What if ipfw/ipfilter wants to look at the original
> packet?

This is another problem and people are trying to solve too many problems
with the same code line then.  IP Filter (and maybe ipfw) is built to do
packet filtering for IP packets, *NOT* ethernet packets.  Small but
significant difference.  As such, when doing IP filtering it isunreasonable
to expect (or assume) that any fields from the link layer protocol will
be present.

If you want to do filtering on layer 2 packets/information then I'd recommend
implementing something using BPF.

Darren