Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:56:18 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Nikola Kne??evi?? <laladelausanne@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Obtaining l2 misses and cpu utilization in a module

--xoUDadTz98C4LPSf

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 08:18:20PM +0100, Nikola Kne??evi?? wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I would like to obtain fore mentioned data from within my module. I =20
> need these performance metrics to see how certain code executes, and =20
> make decisions during the runtime. pmc(3) seems complete, but it also =20
> seems to be intended for use in the userland.
>=20
> How to use pmc from modules? Is there any other way? Also, module is =20
> amd64 only, so I don't care about portability.

I'm not sure what you mean by "module" ini this context.

But CPU utilization my be found in the kern.cp_time sysctl value;
per-core utilization may be found in the kern.cp_times sysctl value.

Note that these are arrays of counters; a given set of values will be
foir "user", "nice", "system", "interrupt", and "idle" CPU time (in that
order).  The differences between respective counters at each end of a
time interval of interest will be informative.

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--xoUDadTz98C4LPSf

--xoUDadTz98C4LPSf--