Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:24:34 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: i386 a.out LKM support now an option..

Peter Wemm wrote:
> However, the thought has occurred on many occasions that it might be an
> idea to make a stand on this and remove the LKM build support.  It will
> clean up a few interfaces.  If this doesn't happen for 3.1, it's definately
> on my agenda for after the branch.  Converting the common LKM's to kld
> modules is pretty easy, and even the ones with custom load/unload code are
> not too hard.  I'd be interested to get a feeling for whether this should
> be done for 3.1 or later.  (Remember, OSS have a KLD version now for 3.0).

I'm a fan of the new KLD system, so removing LKM build support is IMHO the
right thing to do.

I've been working on an embedded system which boots from a 2Mb flash
chip without a filesystem. Before KLDs came along, I couldn't use LKMs
for I/O devices because of the overhead of having to ship GNU tools too.
Now all custom code lives in KLDs which get loaded by the application
which replaces init and a simple 20 line kernel config file suits all
target hardware versions.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137