Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:57:34 +0300
From:      mbsd <mbsd@isgroup.com.ua>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng and the old pkg_* programs

I have tried it. There's my report ;)

Without pkg_*, pkg2ng doesn't work.
pkg info shows only himself (pkg-1.0.1). And I have no idea how to
register all this stuff which I have already into pkgng database.

New [re]installations from ports and directly from pkg work fine.

So for new installation it seems to be fine, for old you have to run
pkg2ng before you will remove pkg_* binaries.