Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 1995 16:10:41 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs??? (lack of concensus)

Hi,

>"third"?  is this a full height case with three third-height knockouts?

yes, I guess I misspoke b4, it's a "full height 3.5 inch" formfactor which
means one MC3243 will fit in it.  It comes with a 2/3 knockout (snapout,
actually) and a 1/3 knockout panel.  I leave the 2/3 in, replace the 1/3.
The resulting open area is immediately in front of and aligned with the top
of the disk drive top surface.

>I'll have to see if I can get half or third height knockouts with vent holes
>(the full height panel only has one set of holes along the *bottom* (tho'
>I could flip it over...)

unless it looks like swiss cheese something like that will only allow a
fraction
of the airflow of a removed panel with foam insert.

>Hmmm... the fan in this box is 25x80mm.  Claims to be 250mA (i.e. 3W).
>Just gauging from size, similar fans (ball or sleeve bearing) in DigiKey
>catalog seem to be 25 - 40 CFM.  Of course, it's thermostatically controlled
>so I'll have to hot-wire that...

thats a step up in size from the ones used in the box I mentioned.  They are
40mm square by 20mm thick.

  The thermostatic variety fan is another potential for trouble.  I replaced a
powersupply with one of these in a cabinet where the supply sat in the bottom
of a tower cabinet.  The thermistor never saw the heat
generated by the cards, which rose to the top of the cabinet.  I happened to
notice one day that the cabinet top was almost too hot to touch, yet the fan
was barely moving.  Needless to say, I never use these anymore.

>> I recommend 2 3243's in 2 half-height boxes.
>So far, my only disagreement is 2 drives in a *single* full height
>enclosure.  :-/

as I said above, I misspoke, I meant to say:

 I recommend 2 3243's in 2 full-height 3.5" boxes. (as oppossed to one
double height box)

>> combinations
>> of external boxes that became unhappy with mixed flat and round cables.
>> ... there are a lot of impedance changes happening. ...
>Ah, well, I'll hopefully buy good enough cables ;-)

cable quality is not the problem, its the different impedance characteristics
of ribbon vs. shielded round cables.

The ANSI SCSI-I spec says:

" ... characteristic impedance of 100 ohms +- 10% is recommended for unshieled
flat or twisted pair ribbon cable. ... greater than 90 ohms is preferred for
shielded cables; however, most available cables have a somewhat lower
characteristic impedance.  To minimize discontinuities and signal reflections,
cables of different impedances should not be used in the same bus."

>Right.  My point was that if the yellow is ignored, don't count on
>someone "observing" (i.e. reacting to) the red, either!  I feel that yellow

my widget doesn't count on anyone observing either condition.  there is a
separate hook for a user provided callback for each condition.
  I expect the user to put code
in place to 'do the good thing' without human intervention.  The visuals
are there to make it look pretty.  I suppose they would also be useful
while one was 'tuning the airflow' of a cabinet, etc.  I also expect to add
a stripchart widget once I actually build the  hardware.  One could then
get a history of temp. changes over time.  With this you could compare the
occurance of transient system errors (parity, core dumps, etc.) with the
temp. of the machine at the point they occurred.

>How long has this been in service and what kind of (ab)use does it see?
>I'd like to order 4 of them next week (or comparable).

I've been using it since installing the 2.1.0-092295-SNAP, so about 2+ months
now.  It sees moderate usage as a personnal workstation.  never seen a disk
related error yet.  There  has been alot of mail lately about the quality of
the
micropolis drives going downhill, which bothers me a bit.  My own experience
with micropolis has been such that I have used nothing else for 4-5 years
now.  I have to admit that I have always seen a high 'infant mortality rate'
with them, maybe 1 in 10 in the last 5 years, but have never had any problem
getting a replacement.  And when they make it past that first week, I have
never
had one die in the last five years.  Since I run mostly unix, that means 5
years
of round the clock usage for the older ones (330 Mb SCSI I).

My advice would be to buy them from a reputable dealer, then burn them in well,
perhaps run 'locate' every half hour from cron the first few weeks.  If that
doesn't kill them they should last for awhile.  Also let me qualify everything
I have said above as to being based on my own limited personnel experience
as an end user.  I buy maybe 2 drives a year, so my statistics are fairly
narrow.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD