Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 09:31:43 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        "Robert P. Ricci" <rricci@ns1.theonlynet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Authenticating dial-ins

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Robert P. Ricci wrote:

> We've got two FreeBSD machines, and would like to use one as a terminal
> server and the other as mail/web/ftp sever (right now, everything's on
> the terminal server.) What would be the best way to keep identical
> password files on both machines, or use the web server's password file to
> authenticate users on the terminal server? The terminal server uses a
> cyclades card. Right now, we use mgetty to answer the modems, which then
> fires up pppd. We're also able to nfs mount between the two machines.

Right now, your best hope is probably NIS.  Adam David and I are vaguely
working towards getting radius client support into pppd.  You could
contact <damian@cablenet.net> and ask him how he did his radius login stuff.
I think he replaced login with radlogin.  Getting radiusd to read your
local password file is not easy, though - it has a separate
password/attributes file.

/*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
/*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
/*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */