Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 15:41:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        thieule@wam.umd.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't telnet to freebsd

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>Hello :)

>I've just installed FreeBSD-2.2-BETA on a 486/66.  Everything went fine.
>I was able to boot with the boot floppy, installed the entire system over
>FTP using the ethernetcard (NE2000 clone).  Anyways, the problem is that I
>cannot telnet, ftp, or anything INTO the FreeBSD box.  I can get out of
>the FreeBSD box and go to other hosts.  I have successfully connected
>from the FreeBSD box to ftp.freebsd.org and numerous other hosts using
>both telnet, ftp, ping, and http.  But for the life of me, I am not able
>to access this box from another machine.  When I do telnet (the name of
>this box), I get a 'Trying ip.addr....' and that's it.  I hope this is not
>too confusing.  To make it simpler, if I am sitting in front of this box
>and I am logged in at the console, I am able to telnet, ftp, etc to other
>hosts.  However, when I am at another computer, I cannot telnet into the
>FreeBSD box.  I have not seen this problem before.  At home, I have
>FreeBSD-2.2-BETA running and I do not have this problem.

Hm.  The diagnostic steps I would take:

1.  telnet from the freebsd host to localhost.  e.g.

telnet 127.0.0.1

or

telnet localhost

this should work.  If not, it sounds like (for some reason) your
networking isn't quite configured right (perhaps inetd is having trouble?)

2.  If this works, then perhaps you have mistaken the ip address your
box is set to?  Try:

ifconfig -a

and see what IPs the interfaces are configured to.

Then, try

telnet your.ip.address.here
(in numeric form)

from your freebsd box back to itself.  If this is slow or doesn't
work, then I would consider the possibility of bad reverse IP on the
DNS...

3.  if this works, try telnetting to the IP address from another host
on the same net.  If this works, but the name doesn't, then it's most
likely DNS.

>Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanx in advance.

I don't know if any of this will help at all.

bryan
--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/