Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 2015 04:23:22 +0200
From:      Arto Pekkanen <isoa@kapsi.fi>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: now here's a weird request, only about six years late

--pnkwrDuTegPptDUFmjlH8HvMahsf6OBt3

It is unlikely you can even get X.org running on FreeBSD 7.X, since versi=
on 7 has been unconditionally obsoleted a long time ago.

The software from FreeBSD ports collection, such as X.org, are only guara=
nteed to be compatible with supported FreeBSD releases. Currently support=
ed releases are 9.3 and 10.1 and 10.2. The oldest supported release 9.3 w=
ill be obsoleted December 31 2016, afaik.

Because software changes fast these days, ports maintainers only aim to p=
atch the software to work with supported releases. It would be too much w=
ork to maintain compatibility with releases obsoleted years ago. For exam=
ple, all of the X.org versions in ports require a FreeBSD kernel providin=
g the DRM2/KMS (kernel mode setting) graphics API. The older version of X=
=2Eorg that did not require such was too problematic to patch to keep run=
ning, because it was abandoned upstream long ago. FreeBSD kernel version =
7.2 does NOT and never will provide the interfaces required by the modern=
, upstream supported X.org. The oldest FreeBSD release that still works w=
ith the available X.org is version 9.3.

So unfortunately it seems that if you want X.org and many other applicati=
ons to work, the most rational decision would be to upgrade to version 10=
=2E2.

However, you did mention that clang does not support your C source files =
written using an older or non-standard notation. Have you consulted the g=
cc man pages, especially the -std switch? With the -std switch you can co=
mmand GCC to use a specific C-dialect. If that does not help ... then you=
 simply must update your source files to adhere to, say, ANSI-C or some l=
ater C-language standard.

On 24.11.2015 0:37, Jules Gilbert via freebsd-x11 wrote:
> Hi guys!
>=20
> Sorry to be so behind the times, but I have a Presario CQ60 (a COMPAQ l=
aptop,) and need instructions to configure X.
>=20
> I'm running FreeBSD v7.2, with library packages from 7.4.
>=20
> I did put up 10.2, and that came up fine with X, except I'm a C develop=
er and nothing I have seems to be compatible with the clang or the gcc48 =
C compilers.  Sigh.
>=20
> So for now I am stuck in v7.2 and I would very much like to run X.
>=20
> I've enabled hald and dbus, and know I have to do something with the mo=
use, as in AllowEmptyInput but I have tried various combinations and am s=
tuck.