Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2012 21:40:16 +0100
From:      David Wood <david@wood2.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please rebuild all ports that depend on PNG

Dear all,

In message <20120602140703.004264ea@scorpio>, Jerry=20
<jerry@seibercom.net> writes
>IMHO, if you are going to use "https" then you should have a proper SSL=20
>certificate. A self-signed one means virtually nothing. If the web site=20
>operator is not going to purchase an authentic certificate they why use=20
>SSL at all? Just my 2=A2 on the matter.

I'm in agreement with Jerry - unless you're going to use a PKI=20
certificate, there's really no point in using SSL. With the default=20
security settings in Firefox, using a web site whose certificate does=20
not chain to a trusted root involves jumping through several hoops. This=20
reflects that SSL is about more than end-to-end encryption.

StartSSL - https://www.startssl.com - offers DV certificates with 1 year=20
validity free of charge so long as you supply some basic identity=20
details and have the necessary control over the domain in which you want=20
a server certificate issued. These are not trial certificates and don't=20
involve a load of marketing - it is regular product for StartSSL with a=20
zero price tag.

For a relatively small fee, which pays for the cost of some basic=20
identity checking, you can issue as many IV certificates with 2 year=20
validity as you want for a 350 day period on domains and e-mail=20
addresses that you control. This option allows multiple DNS names in one=20
server certificate, wildcard server certificates and code signing=20
certificates (albeit encumbered with an OID that means the signatures on=20
Microsoft operating systems expire at the same time as the certificate,=20
even if the signature is timestamped).

The StartSSL root is in most major root bundles.

I have no connection with StartSSL, StartCom or Eddy Nigg other than as=20
a satisfied customer.

Of course, as Kevin Oberman notes, the public PKI is not perfect. A DV=20
(Domain Validated) certificate merely says that at one moment in time,=20
you had access to a 'privileged' e-mail address (postmaster@, webmaster@=20
or hostmaster@) - nothing more. Still, as it costs nothing to get a=20
certificate chained to a trusted root with about five minutes' of=20
effort, I see no reason not to do so. At this price, it is affordable to=20
use 'real' certificates for test sites on throw-away subdomains.

With best wishes to you all,

David
--=20
David Wood