Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:51:49 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <crees@physics.org>
To:        Cassiano Peixoto <peixotocassiano@gmail.com>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg issue after FreeBSD 11 upgrade
References:  <CAJajdNUJGgcmvetRFNbtcpwBkzcyArMSg4F2bBELs=qHH1pB=w@mail.gmail.com> <4c16c960-3b4a-75ab-41ed-51c8109b940a@FreeBSD.org> <CAJajdNV1xLovnx-GRLPR-H4muFgxMCSQrqri4FagyfdtMTv3Ww@mail.gmail.com> <CAJajdNUOg_HMboH563=GSK1QzzcV0v_5WV3v8=Vj7Tk9Rvp32A@mail.gmail.com> <20170830124855.ph5cca5pwjd2pphf@ivaldir.net> <CAJajdNXRx6S9xKgcouoPiWSjm_dBp5L0HZx8kW4iWPS7MpGCPw@mail.gmail.com> <20170830125950.mcp34sddcp6c757t@ivaldir.net> <CAJajdNU4n1a1NBDoSJA=m8Cg6fXYN-d%2BfHGeYFF1x7MLV1CTrQ@mail.gmail.com>

Cassiano Peixoto wrote:
> Ok I know about HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS, it's a good approach. But how to deal
> with when I need to restart a service without upgrading? Reaper
> functionnality is a trouble for many administrators who made meta ports to
> manage their servers. I really think it could be a option to be
> enabled/disabled. Can you see this possibility?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 09:55:22AM -0300, Cassiano Peixoto wrote:
>>> Hi Baptiste,
>>>
>>> Why it used to work on FreeBSD 10? It stopped worked on FreeBSD 11 only.
>> It only worked on FreeBSD 10 prior to 10.2, the reaper functionnality in
>> freebsd
>> kernel appeared in 10.2
>>> Cron is just an example, I manage more than 50 FreeBSD servers, and I've
>>> been using ports for years to update some configs and restart the service
>>> on all of them. Many times I need to change nginx config, ldap, etc. I
>> just
>>> need to restart the service.
>> HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS=true in your pkg.conf and pkg will automatically restart
>> anything rc script provide once the package containing it is upgrading.
>>
>> This is off by default because in many cases it is dangerous (database
>> upgrades,
>> dovecot like things upgrade etc). But if you know what you are doing it
>> does the
>> job.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bapt

Hey,

I think you also want process supervision given your other comments.
You can do this easily using daemon -P to run your scripts (but you'd
need to rewrite the rc script...)

Or use runit or similar?  You could implement "runlevels" with that if
that's REALLY what you want :)

Cheers,

Chris

believed to be clean.