Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:36:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: How hard would it be...

On 10-Apr-00 Warner Losh wrote:
> ... to get FreeBSD to boot off a BSD partition that wasn't labeled as
> 0xa5?  I'm looking for a way to create a disk that a certain picky
> BIOS will like and boot off of, and I think I have to create it with a
> certain ID and then it will be happy.  I suspect that it involves
> hacking the boot blocks, the boot loader and the kernel's idea of the
> BSD partition number in disk*subr.c.  Are there other things that are
> needed?  I may be barking up the wrong tree in trying to get around
> this BIOS's pickiness, but I thought I'd at least ask.
>
> Yes, this is for a well-known, cheap internet device, which shall
> remain nameless. I've already OPENed mine up.  a real lookER.

Heh.  Well, I can't speak for the kernel side of things, but for the
rest of the boot strap you would need to change these lines in these
files:

/sys/boot/i386/boot2/boot1.s:
                .set PRT_BSD,0xa5               # Partition type
/usr/include/sys/disklabel.h:
#define DOSPTYP_386BSD  0xa5    /* 386BSD partition type */

Once you've done that, go into /sys/boot/i386 and just do a make.
If you update /sys/sys/disklabel.h you might be able to compile a new
kernel and be able to mount, etc., but I'm not sure about that part.