Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:26:31 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Daniel R.  Brownstone" <drbrowns@ls.wustl.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optimizing FreeBSD

On Thu, 26 March 1998 at 13:26:52 -0600, Daniel R.  Brownstone wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> 1.  You mention a disk light being on.  This could be a clue, but I've
>>     noticed that happening a number of times when disk access wasn't
>>     the problem, so we should defer that until we have to look at it.
>
> Ok.  Deferred.
>

>> 2.  You have a 100 BaseT network.  What kind of board?  Could be that
>>     there are problems with the driver.  Could be that they're coupled
>>     with problems with the net (bad cable, for example).
>
> I'm going to guess that it's a 3Com, because that's what's in all of our
> other PCs, but I will have to get a definitive answer on it and let you
> know.  I will also replace the cable just in case.

3Coms usually don't cause problems.  It's important to know the right
one, though.

>> 3.  You say the system slows down over a period of time.  Is this the
>>     case from the console as well?  Maybe you can recognize some kind
>>     of unusual circumstance, like excessive retransmits or such.  I
>>     can't tell you where to look here, just how to go about looking
>>     for it.
>
> Yes, it is as slow at the console as it is over the network.  I'im not
> sure how to look for excessive retransmits, or the like.  It's beyond my
> experience, but I'd be delighted to try, if you could tell me how.

If you don't know how to do this, this is probably not the way to go.

>> 4.  You should consider building a debug kernel with the kernel
>>     debugger.  You can strip the kernel before booting, but you need
>>     the debug version (about 10 MB) for dump analysis.  Take a look at
>>     the online handbook for more details.  That way we at least have
>>     an idea of what has gone wrong.
>
> How long (projected) before 2.2.6 is stable enough to upgrade to?

2.2.6-RELEASE was released about 2 days ago.  It's available now from
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org, and will be available on CD-ROM in a couple of
weeks.

> Is this something I should do straight away, or just wait till we're
> going to go to 2.2.6 and include the debugging in the new kernel I
> build then?

That depends on how urgent you find the problem.  There's nothing that
suggests to me that the problem will be gone in 2.2.6.  At a guess,
I'd say that it's caused by something outside the kernel, though of
course the kernel is letting the problem exist.

One question I forgot to ask you is: what programs are you running?

Greg