Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 18:46:40 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za (Reinier Bezuidenhout)
Cc:        ulf@lamb.net (Ulf Zimmermann), danny@panda.hilink.com.au, robin@intercore.com, fenner@parc.xerox.com, gavin@ormond.unimelb.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZNYX346 and FreeBSD 2.1.5

On Jan 31, rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za (Reinier Bezuidenhout) wrote:
> Hi ....
>
> I got a Znyx 4 port PCI card working in FreeBSD 2.1.5 ... but what
> I now actually would like is to get two of these cards working ...

Doesn't sound too hard ...

> I've tried compiling a kernel that supports 8 de devices but because
> each port uses an interrupt I seem to be running out of interrupts on
> the PCI bus ... :(

You can't run out of interrupts on the PCI bus (by definition :)

> I've tried to set one slot to INT A and the other to INT B, but
> it doesn't seem to work, when both are on INT A then FreeBSD
> probes both the cards on the same IRQ's

Well, what's bad about this ?

On most PCI motherboards, there are only 4 distinct interrupt
lines available on the PCI *bus*. This is not a limitation of
PCI, which only defines, that there are 4 interrupt PINs per
PCI *slot*, but not whether each is individually connected to
some kind of interrupt controller, or as the other extreme
all interrupt pins of all slots are just wired together in
some way ...

PCI drivers must support interrupt sharing, and FreeBSD does,
for quite some time now.

If you can't get your cards to work, then I need a VERBOSE
boot message log. But I assume, that everything works just
fine, with always two Ethernet chips from either card sharing
one IRQ.

> Is it at all possible to have (hardware wize) two of these
> 4 PORT cards in one machine ??

I think so. Please boot with "-v" and send me the log, and I
will check, whether there is anything to worry about.

Regards, STefan