Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 10:18:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bruce Bauman <boot@mosquito.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading to stable?

We have upgraded one of our machines to 2.1-stable, and are running a
2.1-stable kernel. However, we are still for the most part running
2.1R commands and libraries. We now see problems like the following:

pid 28445 (ftp), uid 1051: exited on signal 3
pid 4269 (rtin), uid 1021: exited on signal 6
pid 18240 (mail), uid 1051: exited on signal 3
pid 18246 (csh), uid 1051: exited on signal 3

Do we need to recompile and install new libraries to solve these
problems? Running gdb on the core dumps suggests that the program
died in the shared libraries, but I don't have symbols, so I'm
not sure of the cause.

Can we safely install new libraries while the system is up multi-user?

-- Bruce