Date:      Sun, 07 Jun 1998 14:49:22 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        toj@gorillanet.gorilla.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Packet Aliasing Broke?

> The bloat I was concerned with was more to do with the installation
> disk footprint rather than the in-core footprint

Ah, sorry, I wasn't considering that piece of the puzzle.

Well, it seems like there are several ways you could go with it.
Count on a symlink named "libalias.so" in some well-known place.  Or,
make the hard-coded path to the library overridable from the ppp
Makefile.  Or, have ppp search a few likely directories to find the
pathname for dlopen.  Or, muck around in src/release/Makefile.

For that matter, I could probably learn to live with the dlfind()
idea if it just always found the highest minor number where minor
numbers existed at all:

    const char *dlfind(const char *name, int version);

I think the leading "lib" part of the name should be implicit, so
that the call would be like:  const char *path = dlfind("alias", 2);

John