Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 01:15:37 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, ugen@latte.worldbank.org
Subject:   Re: dset & userconfig

>While i was out userconfig completely changed and everybody forgot that dset
>should have some support from userconfig in order to save kernel information
>back.Currently dset is of no use - it would not notice any change you do in
>userconfig. I don't know, i am still not so set up to touch it so mey be anyone
>in the busness would like to fix it?

Was all the support in save_dev()?  It wasn't well documented :-).  (dset
works on a copy of the devtabs instead of on the originals because some
write to the devtabs.)  dset is too quiet about the problem, with or
without -q.  (_isa_devlist no longer exists so the first nlist() fails.).

> Second question is lame, but - how da hell i am getting this userconfig
>to work.I have pcvt and when entering this nice red config screen(could we
>PLEEASE change pcvt defaults???) - only buttons which work for me are TAB
>and ENTER so the only thing i can do is expand first list of devices and that's
>it....I guess this is some incompatibility betwin pcvt and config but this
>does not helps me much...

userconfig() handles the scancodeish values returned by sccngetc() for
arrow keys (588 = up arrow).  It attempts to handle ANSI escape
sequences for arrow keys (`ESC [ A' for up arrow) but this seems to be
broken (it doesn't work here for a serial terminal).  pcvt apparently
returns something different from syscons.  I think it returns ESC [ A
for the up arrow not on the numeric keypad but that doesn't work.

Bruce