Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 12:18:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about 2 subnets on the same switch.

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >

> > > I recently got ADSL from pacbell and I have a weird problem that
> > > I have found a fix for, however i think the fix is a hack.
> > >
> > > pacbell gave me a /29 subnet (btw, only 5ip addresses stinks...)
> >
> > Considering you only need one, that's pretty liberal. :)
>
> Well, It's kind of a pain to run ICQ behind nat...  (it's required
> for work)

Not it's not .. use socks.

> > > my goal was to still have ipfw filtering through my router/firewall
> > > (freebsd 4.0 that i keep quite current)
> > >

> > >  ____________      ____________        ______________
> > > | ADSL modem |----| Fbsd Bridge|------|100mbit switch|
> > > `------------'    `------------'      `--------------'
> > >              ^    ^            ^        |||      |||
> > >              |    |            |      192.168   real IPs
> > >   216.99.74.57    |    216.99.74.58
> > >   (gw address)    |       (xl0)
> > >                 no ip
> > >                 (de0)
> >
> >                   ^^^^^ Er?  Shouldn't this be 216.99.74.57, or is PacBell
> > running their ADSL boxes in routing mode?
>
> They told me to use 216.99.74.57 as my gateway, I assume the modem's
> interface's address is 216.99.74.57.

Technically speaking, no.  The modem is a long-distance Ethernet bridge.
216.99.74.57 is the router that your PVC terminates in.

> > Ah, dummynet... I haven't set this up so you're on your own.
>
> BRIDGE is kinda cool, especially since you can IPFW the bridged packets...
>
> very useful...

I need to play with this! :)

> Well... it's the ICQ thing, and i'd like to have seperate machines handling
> things like www/ftp without cludging it with perm_link.

I *HIGHLY* recommend SOCKS for ICQ.  ICQ has such a twisted protocol it's
insane to run it behind a firewall any other way. I have it set up on a
client's gateway and it works flawlessly.

Doug White