Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 23:45:22 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does VOP_WHITEOUT() do?

According to Zhihui Zhang:
> Can anyone tell me what does VOP_WHITEOUT() do?  I can not find it in the
> hypertext manual pages.

You can find a small documentation in the 4.4BSD daemon book. It is used when
stacking filesystems (especially unionfs).

Imagine you have 2 FS mounted on above the other with unionfs. This gives you
FS1. Note that when stacking FS, the underlying ones are R/O (FS2 in this
case).

FS          "file A"    it appears here.
  1
FS      ---> file A     the real file
  2

File A is seen as part of the whole unified FS1. Now, imagine you "rm" file A
from FS1. The file won't be actually removed from FS2 but a "whiteout" entry
will appear inside FS1 to "mask" the file from it.

More (and better) explanations on page 236 of the new daemon book.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 4.0-CURRENT #71: Sun May  9 20:16:32 CEST 1999