Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:30:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bigby Findrake <bigby@shiva.eu.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        mike@argos.org, brett@lariat.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> > I'd sure hope so... Let's face it -- even though FreeBSD is (in my
> > opinion) the most "robust" out of the bunch, the x86 architecture isn't
> > going to win any awards for performance.... Cheap, yes. Easy, yes.
> > Works for the most part, yes. But it's still based off of the idea that
> > we need to be backwards-compatible with the late 1700's. The Alpha port
> > of FBSD is A Good Thing (I'm hoping to try it out this weekend on a couple
> > of the Alpha machines I have available for playing with), but the high-end
> > boxes are pretty pricey. You can find multi-processor SPARC machines
> > being practically given away by companies who don't know what they're
> > capable of, not to mention several other platforms.
>

> thisis incorrect. the intel processors knock the snot out of
> sparc in inteeger performance. take a look at the hint benchmark for
> example. the benchmark is in the ports tree.
>
> the alpha on the other hand knocks the intel flat on the matt.
>
> jmb

Somehow I fail to notice how any of this pertains to FreeBSD security.
Can someone please enlighten me or, barring that, perhaps move this
conversation to a more appropriate location.

"What reason weaves, by passion is undone."  -- Alexander Pope

		finger bigby@shiva.eu.org for my pgpkey
	       e-mail bigby@pager.shiva.eu.org to page me