Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 18:48:22 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: unit_list routines

> <<On Wed, 23 May 2001 16:52:58 +0100, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> said:
>
> > The way I see it, holding and releasing mutexes will introduce
> > contention between consumers that only want to maintain a [completely
> > private] sparce array.
>
> I think the usual watchword is ``Don't optimize initialization.''

Maybe, but pessimising for no gains seems odd.

> > Allocating a ``struct resource'' munges a completely separate
> > resource (allocated units) in with all of the existing resources
>
> I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding the point you're trying
> to make here.  It's a general interface; you need a subset of that
> functionality.  Your resource is not ``munged [...] in with all of the
> existing resources'' -- each resource is managed separately, through
> its rman structure.
>
> > of lists and backwards pointers to achieve something that means
> > nothing in the context of these allocated units.
>
> Those lists and backwards pointers are not there for the benefit of
> clients, and should be treated as opaque.  Actually, the whole `struct
> resource' should be treated as opaque, although because accessors are
> provided as macros rather than functions it can't be made literally
> so.

But they're required for the benefit of clients - so that they can
allocate existing resources, add and remove other resources etc.

I want a list of number ranges, not a resource management subsystem
that happens to manage number ranges for individual resources in a
way that could be bent to my needs.

> > Using bits when there are large numbers of units gets awkward.
>
> Just wrap it in macros.  I almost posted an implementation with my
> last message, but decided that since it was so trivial it would be
> almost insulting for me to do so.

Not true - I'm too thick skinned to be insulted :oI

I'll look at a macro implementation.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>