Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 21:32:02 -0700
From:      Ron Rosson <insane@oneinsane.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Samba woes and looking for guidence

Alex,

This is also going to a freind of mine that knows about samba as well
I am trying to get this working anyway I can. I appreciate the help and
time for the people that have taken time to help me to try and get this
running. And it is also going to questions to see if someone has seen my error

One more small tidbit. The FreeBSD is also using user-ppp to IP Masquerade
for the win95 on tun0 using cuua1. If it makes any difference. Just trying
to give you the most information that I can.

Heya Thanks for the quick reply This one is having my hosts file,
my smb.conf, and the error when I try a netview \\THE.

My samba binaries all compiled and went into the /usr/local/bin and
the smb.conf is localted in /usr/local/etc. I dont know if it makes a
difference. It feels like it is something small that is causing this.
I dont know. I guess that is why I am asking for help.
HOSTS file on Win95 Machine (killa)

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.1     THE
192.168.1.1     the.oneinsane.net       the
192.168.1.2     laptop.oneinsane.net    laptop
192.168.1.3     kyrie.oneinsane.net     kyrie
192.168.1.4     boys.oneinsane.net      boys
192.168.1.5     killa.oneinsane.net     killa
SMB.CONF on FreeBSD (the)

; The global setting for a RedHat default install
; smbd re-reads this file regularly, but if in doubt stop and restart it:
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
;======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

   workgroup = insane
   remote announce =
   interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
   comment = "Insane group serv"
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = samba
   log file = /samba/samba-log.%m
; Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb)
   max log size = 150

; Options for handling file name case sensitivity and / or preservation
; Case Sensitivity breaks many WfW and Win95 apps
;   case sensitive = yes
    short preserve case = yes
    preserve case = yes

; Security and file integrity related options
   lock directory = /var/spool/lock
   locking = yes
   strict locking = yes
;   fake oplocks = yes
   share modes = yes
; Security modes: USER uses Unix username/passwd, SHARE uses WfW type
passwords
;        SERVER uses a Windows NT Server to provide authentication services
   security = USER
; Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

; Configuration Options ***** Watch location in smb.conf for side-effects
*****
; Where %m is any SMBName (machine name, or computer name) for which a custom
; configuration is desired
;   include = /etc/smb.conf.%m

; Performance Related Options
; Before setting socket options read the smb.conf man page!!
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
; Socket Address is used to specify which socket Samba
; will listen on (good for aliased systems)
;   socket address = aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
; Use keep alive only if really needed!!!!
;   keep alive = 60

; Domain Control Options
; OS Level gives Samba the power to rule the roost. Windows NT = 32
;       Any value < 32 means NT wins as Master Browser, > 32 Samba gets it
os level = 33
; specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser
domain master = yes
; Use with care only if you have an NT server on your network that has been
; configured at install time to be a primary domain controller.
;   domain controller = <NT-Domain-Controller-SMBName>
; Domain logon control can be a good thing! See [netlogon] share section
below!
;   domain logons = yes
; run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
; run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %u.bat
; Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section
; WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
;       the default is NO.
wins support = yes
; WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
;       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z
; WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on behalf of a
non
;       WINS Client capable client, for this to work there must be at least
one
;       WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes
;============================ Share Declarations
==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   create mode = 0750

; Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Samba Network Logon Service
;   path = /home/netlogon
; Case sensitivity breaks logon script processing!!!
;   case sensitive = no
;   guest ok = yes
;   locking = no
;   read only = yes
;   browseable = yes  ; say NO if you want to hide the NETLOGON share
;   admin users = @wheel

; NOTE: There is NO need to specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /tmp
   browseable = yes
   printable = yes
; Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   public = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

;   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -h -P%p %s

[cdrom0]
   comment = CD-ROM [0]
   path = /cdrom
   browseable = yes
   valid users = insane samba
   public = yes
   writable = no
   printable = no

;[cdrom1]
;   comment = CD-ROM [1]
;   path = /cdrom1
;   valid users = insane
;   public = yes
;   writable = no
;   printable = no

;[optics]
;   comment = Optical Drive
;   path = /optics
;   valid users = insane samba
;   public = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

;[user]
;   comment = User Disk
;   path = /scsi/user
;   valid users = insane samba
;   public = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

[killa]
   comment = Killa
   path = /home/insane/killa
   browseable = yes
valid users = insane samba
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[rootfs]
   comment = System Root
   path = /
   valid users = insane
   public = no
   writable = no
   printable = no

;[source]
;   comment = System Source
;   path = /sys
;   valid users = insane
;   public = no
;   writable = no
;   printable = no
;
; A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
; the staff group
;[public]
;   comment = Public Stuff
;   path = /usr/somewhere/public
;   public = yes
;   writable = no
;   printable = no
;   write list = @staff
;
; a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
; this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
; also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
; The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
;  comment = PC Directories
;  path = /usr/pc/%m
;  public = no
; also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
; The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
;  comment = PC Directories
;  path = /usr/pc/%m
;  public = no
;  writeable = yes
;
;
; A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that all
files
; created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
; any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
; directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of course
; be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead.
;[public]
;   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
;   public = yes
;   only guest = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;
;
; The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
; users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users. In
this
; setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
; sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
; as many users as required.
;[myshare]
;   comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
;   path = /usr/somewhere/shared
;   valid users = mary fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;   create mask = 0765

=====
ERROR FROM (net view \\THE)

Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be located.
Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or try again later
when the remote computer is available.
======

At 09:56 PM 8/14/97 +0400, you wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Ron Rosson wrote:
>
>Hola, Ron!
>
>> And am using it to test to see if I have Samba Configured right. If you
take a
>> look at the URL above I fail on TEST 8. Here is the error I get On test 8:
>>

>[a]
>> C:\WINDOWS>net view \\192.168.1.1
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
>Windowze95 (NT does it ok) won't understand IP address here, edit your
>C:\WINDOWS\Hosts like
>
>127.0.0.1 localhost
>192.168.1.1 THE
>

>then C:\WINDOWS> net view \\THE
>
>[b]
>> Here is also a copy of my lmhosts file and smb.conf file
>                            ^^^^^^^
>
> can I ask one stupid question?
> for what reason you use lmhosts?
> network browsing, mounts and printing work fine without it.
>
>[c]
>Make sure you got accout samba (cat /etc/passwd | grep samba :)
>if no - change "samba" to "ftp" in smb.conf
>
>[d]
>When NMBD becomes master browser it creates
>$SAMBA_HOME/var/locks/browse.dat, is it correct?
>
>[e]
>Try
> debug level=32
>in smb.conf :)

>ALexei.

Ron Rosson              ... and a UNIX user said ...
rlr@n2.net                        rm -rf *
insane@oneinsane.net      and all was null and void