Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 15:31:10 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Question re. Inetd, security & Virtual Hosts

Does anyone know of any problems with running inetd just for the primary
interface on a FreeBSD system?

My main concern was security (I don't really want telnetd listening on every
IP interface the box has), so I now run:

inetd -l -a primary.ip.address
inetd -l -a secondary.ip.address

And I don't run it for the other 8 IP addresses my system has...

The only thing I've noticed is that inetd will also bind services to the
127.0.0.1 (loopback) address - but using the above it doesn't...

Does this mean I should also do:

inetd -l -a 127.0.0.1

?

Any comments on this like 'you must be mad' are welcome... ;-) On some
servers I'd imagine it might save a lot of network sockets (e.g. 200 virtual
servers would normally run 200 listeners for telnetd, pop3 etc. ;-)

Regards,

Karl Pielorz