Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 10:25:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        fbsd@clem.systemsix.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

>     Steve> lynx/mosaic are appropriate for the new sgml/html based doc
>     Steve> tree even without internet connection.

> However, it might make more sense to make our docs texinfo-based.

Please, no. Emacs and the info browser are not tools to proud of in a user
friendly system. They're hard to learn, hard to integrate new text into,
complex to configure and maintain, and not very versatile.

The current direction, using Linuxdoc and converting from there to TeX
or Info or HTML, is much better. The HTML browsers are easier to use (I'm
always getting lost in info) and don't require a complex directory and
file structure to access the docs (you can use lynx or mosaic or chimera
or phoenix or whatever on any file).

And with an httpd server, you can dynamically import any documents. Look
at http://bonkers.neosoft.com/cgi-bin/ranger-list and ranger-search for an
example... that's a newsgroup exported to the world wide web. Doing the
same thing with man pages is just as easy.

(I use texi2html for converting info documents myself, but give the
 users a user-friendly interface like lynx by default)