Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:11:29 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-net@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jayster <jayster@comcast.net>
Subject:   Re: Web Server supporting up to 4 WANs/Interfaces

On Friday 17 December 2010 07:32:49 Jayster wrote:

[ fine comments on our OS trimmed ]

> Now the issue. Without too much detail, my device has 4 GigE ports on it.
> Each will be attached to a routed network. There is NO routing required
> between networks inside the box (not a router or firewall) and in fact, it
> CANNOT be allowed to happen because of security. Instead, each WAN port
> needs access to this box, but nothing beyond. The access consists of a Web
> Server, though several other Ports are required, such as SNMP Traps,
> Syslog, etc. Getting to the box is easy, routers do all the work. The
> issue is getting traffic back through the same interface it came in on and
> through the same router gateway. As we all know, only 1 gateway can be
> assigned in FreeBSD, unlike other flavors of Linux. Even the ones who
> don't offer single line gateway support can use IPTables to accomplish
> this task. But IPTables is not supported in FreeBSD. Not a bad thing as
> long as comparable solutions exist.
>=20

=46rom this short description it looks like you are using standard internet=
=20
apps. Question is whether you need one instance of web server to serve=20
requests from all four ports (or in better words IMHO four networks if they=
=20
should not communicate here on box) or you could use four separate instance=
s.=20
=46or the former you can use PF (I tested something similar with two networ=
k in=20
past) while for the later either multiple fibs or vimage solution is=20
available.

[ snip ]

> I have tried both PF and IPFW. Different posts around the web claim
> Multiple Gateway solutions using both of them. I have tried each of the
> recommended setups, but had no luck. If you read the last responses to
> each of those posts, others also state they could not duplicate what is
> claimed, as well. PF looks the most promising. It has "if-bound", which is
> supposed to keep interface traffic on the same interface. That is a good
> first step. But pointing it to the gateway on that interface is still an
> issue. Please HELP!!! I haven't slept in days and I've been stuck for a
> week now!!! This is our last showstopper.
>=20

There are some guides on net - but you should be able to find the basic in=
=20
'man pf.conf' - look for route-to and reply-to. I am not going to give you =
now=20
more details, sorry - writing just what I remember now could be misleading,=
 I=20
did forget probably some details, but manual page has all basic info=20
necessary. This way you could do some 'source routing policy', which could =
be=20
a solution to your problem.

Hope this helps a bit, at least.

Regards,